The two Lawley locomotives (BR7 & NG97) at Sandstone are perhaps the most popular engines with visitors and are the only two operating in the world. Two more exist in Zimbabwe at Centenary Park and the NRZ museum in Bulawayo. Neither is positively identified, particularly the example in the NRZ museum which may be made up of a number of locos that worked in Rhodesia after being set aside by the Beira Railway. The Vale of Rheidol Railway in Wales has now listed two Lawleys in their stock list as Falcon Works number 265 (BR27) and 266 (BR28) built 1897 originally at the Busi Sugar Estate near Beira in Mozambique. These were repatriated to to the UK in 2000 by the Rampton Trust after lying unused for 30 years. These are of the F4 type as is Sandstone’s NG97 (Falcon 263 of 1897) The Rampton Trust being the owners of the Vale of Rheidol Railway. You can check details of the locomotives at http://www.rheidolrailway.co.uk/museum.htm
Our picture by David Benn shows the two Sandstone Lawleys double heading a short mixed train. Dave Richardson’s picture shows the Lawley in the NRZ museum incorrectly marked as 27 which is the Beira Railway number of Vale of Rheidol’s number 265.The locomotive also has the flat running board of the F2 type similar to Sandstone’s BR7 which belies its identity as 27 which is of the F4 type with a stepped running board under the cab.