Locomotive O&K number 10311 was offloaded in Bloemfontein last week. Attached is a preliminary report on work Lucas and his team intend to do.
- Possible removal of boiler to clean in-between frames water tanks from rust and paint with sealer and anti rust paint.Remove wheels to set wheels in a railway workshop to correct gauge.
- Remove left and right coal bunkers drivers cab, roof and back plate for riveting as per O&K standards.
- Fabricate and fit a proper lubrication system for valves and cylinders. (Mechanical lubricator and valves).
- Rebuild regulator to a safe standard as the regulator is not operating smooth at the moment.
- Remove boiler cladding to fit proper flanges to boiler to attach clack valves.
- Replace and refit all steel piping with copper piping on locomotive.
- Fabricate boiler water level attachments and fit level gauges to O&K standards.
- Fabricate and fit left and right clack boxes to O&K standards.
- Rebuild no 1 and no 2 buffer beams and buffers to O&K standards.
- Refit missing left water injector and refit right water injector.
- Prepare locomotive boiler for a hydraulic and steam test to obtain a valid boiler certificate.
- Retest and certify boiler pressure gauge.
- Fit brass cladding to left and right cylinders.
- Grind and polish left and right side rods and valve motion gear.
- Paint locomotive and frames.
Most of this work is programmed for 2010.
12th October 2009
The riveted side tanks of O&K 10311.