Sandstone Heritage Trust - Rail News

RN 119 - Weekly steam shed report - 20th - 26th November 2005

RN_119_01

Weekly Activities - Locomotive Report

THE DECAUVILLE LOCOMOTIVE:
Henry stripped and cleans the mechanical lubricator for this very special locomotive. The little mechanical lubricator was painted and all the brass on it was cleaned. Henry then fitted the mechanical lubricator to the Decauville.
RN_119_02
RN_119_03

NGG 16 NUMBER 153
Derrick and I started with the repairs that were needed on 153. All the tarot spindle packing nuts were packed, and steam leaks were rectified. When we last used this locomotive, I realized that she was very thirsty on water and mean only one thing, piston rings. We first inspected the valve rings that are still in good condition, and then we pulled all the piston heads to inspect the piston rings. All four pistons were pulled out and we managed to fit new rings on all. We also found that the one piston head was way too small and had to fit a spare piston head to that cylinder. We now only have to do one last ring to finish this. Indeed a mission. This also was the best time to do the piston packing as well as inspecting the lubrication to the cylinders. This locomotive was the first NGG 16 on the Sandstone Steam Railway and really was the one mostly used.
RN_119_04
RN_119_05

THE 19 D CAB
Henry spray painted the 19D cab black again. As soon as the Cole's Crane is back in operation, we shall move the cab to the inside of the shed. We then shall start with the building of the cab for display purposes.

LOCOMOTIVES FROM RECTANGA JUNCTION:
Arno and Leon left for Ratanga Junction last Sunday to collect another two NGG 16 locomotives. They are expected to be back on Sunday and we then shall offload the Garratts and wagons that were bought from Ratanga Junction.
Wagon Restoration

FLAT WAGON 1699
Jacob welded the angle iron to this flat wagon and spray painted it. Vacuum goose neck pipes were welded as well. New vacuum hose pipes were fitted to the wagon and only needs a vacuum chamber pipe to be completed.

Here is some photos of the restoration this week.
RN_119_06
RN_119_07
RN_119_08
RN_119_09

Henry is going to do a cosmetic upgrade of a Crawler that we are going to load onto this flat wagon. We restored it with the original steel floor to handle more load, like the Crawler. We now have three restored flat wagons and they all will be used together on one train, with different loads.
Once this flat wagon is finished, Jacob will start with the restoration of the XC wagon, (Creosote wagon)

B WAGON CONVERSION TO FZ
Derrick started with the conversion of the 6 B wagons to Fz wagons. This wagons will be used on the harvest days on the 1st and 2nd of January 2005. First he welded channel iron to the sided to support the wooden planks that is to be used as the sides of the extension. Angle iron will then be welded in cross sections to give support to the sides of the wagon.

Below is a photo of the conversion:
RN_119_10
Other Restorations
TROLLEYS

Petrus is busy to do a cosmetically upgrading of all the push trolleys in the workshop. All the trolleys will be painted yellow. Once he is complete with this, he will do a cosmetic upgrade on all the jacks we have in the shed. Some of these jacks are really very old and special.
RN_119_11
RN_119_12

THE STEAM SHED:
The inspection put was cleaned and painted this week. The paint on the floor in the put was mixed with grit to ensure a slip free surface. No locomotives or wagons will stand over this put except for if work needs to be carried out on the put. Once the third line is build inside the shed, we shall have enough space to store all the locomotives at the back of the shed and this will free up space for the workshop.

Here are some photos of the inspection put, as well as the paint upgrading on the floors in the shed.
RN_119_13
RN_119_14
RN_119_15
RN_119_16

THE COAL DUST EXTRACOR:
The coal dust extractor was put to the test just before the Cherry Festival trains. It worked great and all the coal dust was removed from the coal. The success was proved by the locomotives that just steamed great. We use less coal now because there is no coal dust that clogs up the fire anymore. We do not have the clinker forming due to the coal dust and it is also not needed to trim coal so often. The coal now runs freely down as the fireman shovel it into the firebox.

Here are some photos of the Coal dust extractor in use:
RN_119_17
RN_119_18

The coal dust will now be bagged in 50kg bags and will be sold to brick factories.

PULLING OF 45 LB RAIL:
Ben is still busy with the pulling of rail out of Pandora. Once this is finished, he shall move 60Lb rail to Hoekfontein for the building of the new 2km line behind the shed to the dam.
Gardening
We are busy with the extending of our flower gardens around the shed. We have planted cosmos everywhere and I cannot wait to see all the flowers once they start growing.
RN_119_19
From the past
RN_119_20

An “S Class”- shunting in Germiston in 1976. The days when the Railways were Railways and Trains were trains! Note the short wagons in front of the Guards van.
Planning for next week
1.) To pull 45 lb rail
2.) To finish repairs on 153
3.) To modify B wagons to FZ wagons.
4.) To build the Douglas Locomotive cab
5.) To finish the painting of all the Railway sign boards
6.) To fit new sign boards in the Vintage
7.) To finish the painting of floors in the shed.
8.) To cosmetically upgrade Crawler
9.) To offload NGG 16 Garratts and wagons from Ratanga Junction.
10.) To finish third flat wagon.
11.) To pack freight stock for Harvest Festival.
12.) To go on with the restoration of the water tank Eastern Cape.
13.) AY restoration.
14.) Restore the big pot
15.) Gardening (Flower garden)
16.) To start with restoration of XC wagon.
17.) Weed spraying over entire Railway line.
STEAM GREETINGS, GERT!